Growing in DC, Virginia, and Maryland
Community Solar, also known as a Solar Garden, is a crowd-funding opportunity for members of a community to invest together and receive solar benefits that may have previously been inaccessible. Each member is a “subscriber,” and can purchase as many (or as few) solar panels as they like.
Community Solar is ideal for individual members who:
- Rent or lease their property but would like solar
- Have inadequate space, orientation, or too much shading
- Cannot budget an entire private system at this time
- Want to access solar benefits at a wholesale cost
How Does Community Solar Work?
- Members of a community who would like to participate in solar can invest different amounts toward a shared solar electric system on a public facility (in this case, a fire station).
- The solar energy savings produced by the installed solar array become revenue for the community solar subscribers.
- That revenue is returned to the community solar subscribers proportionate to their investment.
For example, if the fire station spends $200 a month on energy, and the solar array provides half of that energy every month, then the solar energy savings are $100 and would be returned proportionately at $50, $30, and $20. (The fire station benefits from using clean, renewable energy and can even receive rent for the roof space!)
Get Involved Today!
- Want to join a solar community?
- How about start your own solar garden?
- Would you like to help advocate community solar?
- Do you have questions about Community Solar?
Our network can help build your Solar Community in DC, Virginia, and Maryland.